DESERT HILLS — After receiving reports Sunday night of explosions and a fire, Desert Hills Fire Department firefighters arrived at an outbuilding in Crystal Beach to witness heavy smoke, accompanied by popping noises.
“There were numerous aerosol spray-paint cans popping off,” said DHFD Fire Captain Bill Weber.
The outbuilding was detached from a residence in the 1000 block of Fathom Drive and was described as a12-feet by 40-feet metal workshop. The fire was reported at 9:08 p.m. Sunday.
The fire crews entered the building and extinguished the fire. Investigations determined an occupant in the nearby residence had been in the workshop earlier, welding.
The fire wasn’t considered suspicious in nature and originated in a trash can next to where the individual was welding, Weber said.
“There was a spark, and it smoldered long enough to catch the trash in the trash can on fire,” he said.
Estimated damages to the building were unknown Monday. The structure is still standing but most of its contents were soaked and affected by smoke or fire.
The department responded with two engines, Rescue 5, a water tanker, and Weber.
Lake Havasu City Fire Department provided mutual aid and responded with two engines and a battalion chief. River Medical ambulance service responded and was on standby. No injuries were associated with the incident.
You may contact the reporter at firstname.lastname@example.org.